There are many facilities that support residential full time treatment and outpatient treatment.
Not everyone is in a position to go into residential treatment full time for 90 days to a year or more. Some folks are so situated that they must continue working if possible, or perhaps, assist with the care of their family. When it comes to flexible outpatient programs as well as partial (not full time) hospital programs, there are options.
If you are looking for effective drug treatment, the question has to be addressed is: effective drug treatment for whom? Drug addiction is a serious life threatening health challenge and each person seeking treatment as well as concerned friends and family of those seeking treatment need to carefully choose the facility that will be able to give effective drug treatment to their loved one. One size definitely doesn’t fit all but it is challenging to find an alternative that gives first class treatment on a more flexible model.
Valley Recovery Center in the Sacramento area, is one such facility that combines 12 step recovery with expert clinical staff using therapy methods such as Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and EMDR. In addition, Valley provides these, and other services, on an outpatient basis as well as, if necessary, on a partial hospitalization basis. Detox services are available for all clients as assessed and as needed.
As you might imagine, assessment is very thorough to decide what options need to be in place for each client. When choosing effective drug treatment for your loved one, the assessment process is one to evaluate carefully. Specifically, it is important to know why the facility recommends one solution over another. It is equally important that the client’s personal situation is taken into account.
Take the time to investigate what treatment facility will best suit you or your loved ones needs. Once the decision to go into treatment has been made, the next most important step will be choosing the appropriate facility.
Points to Remember
- Drug addiction can be treated, but it’s not simple. Addiction treatment must help the person do the following:
- stop using drugs
- stay drug-free
- be productive in the family, at work, and in society
- Successful treatment has several steps:
- twelve Step is a very important component of ongoing recovery
- behavioral counseling
- medication (for opioid, tobacco, or alcohol addiction)
- evaluation and treatment for co-occurring mental health issues such as depression and anxiety
- long-term follow-up to prevent relapse
- Medications can be used to manage withdrawal symptoms, prevent relapse, and treat co-occurring conditions.
- Behavioral therapies help patients:
- modify their attitudes and behaviors related to drug use
- increase healthy life skills
Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide (third edition). (December 2012). Retrieved August, 2016.
Treatment. (2014). Retrieved August, 2016.
Principles of Drug Abuse Treatment for Criminal Justice Populations – A Research-Based Guide. (April 2014). Retrieved August, 2016.
Treatment Approaches for Drug Addiction. (July 2016). Retrieved August, 2016.